April is poetry month and so I am sharing some thoughts on activities you can do during this month. To kick things off, I will also share a poem from my just published collection, From Cane Field to the Sea. So, here are some ideas. I would love to hear from you on some things you plan to do during poetry month:
- Write a poem
- Share a poem with family, friends, colleagues
- Check out some poetry books from your library
- If you have always wanted to write poems, start working on your manuscript
- Purchase poetry books
- Check out some interesting poetry blogs
- Read poetry to your kids
- Read a poem to your special someone
- Check out audio poems
- Attend a poetry reading or open mic activities in your area
- Find more poetry links and suggestions from the Poetry Foundation website.
The Road to Respect
I felt valued and honored.
You shared your opinion.
I trusted your wisdom.
The circle of respect was complete.
We saw in each other's eyes our common humanity.
Now, moving to a zone of mutual affirmation,
we felt safe to trust, and learn, and nurture
in the give-and-take of life.
Copyright 2011 Yasmin Morais.
I hope you will find time to have fun with poetry during April. Stay tuned for a posting later on my poet of the month for April.