Cherry Natural (Marcia Wedderburn)

Cherry Natural (aka Marcia Wedderburn) is an internationally acclaimed dub poet. Cherry is Jamaican and has been performing dub poetry since 1979. I had the pleasure of seeing her perform recently at the Jazz in the Garden program held in June in Kingston, Jamaica, and what a performance!

Cherry Natural


I am pleased to feature Cherry as my August poet. She is also a motivational speaker, holds a black belt and is a martial arts instructor (Hmm, based on my previous post, Cherry and I have something in common, an interest in karate). This versatile poet focuses on social, political and economic issues, as well as women's rights.

Cherry has published two poetry collections so far, and has also done recordings.

Stay tuned throughout this month for more on this fascinating poet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Cultivate a White Rose (Cultivo Una Rose Blanca) by Jose Marti

Hula Christmus

Nature, by H.D. Carberry