2/04/2012

Grace Nichols, Guyanese Poet

February's spotlight is on Guyanese poet, Grace Nichols. Here is a brief note on Grace and her writings to date.

In 1983, Grace won the Commonwealth Prize for her first collection, I Is A Long Memoried Woman. Grace was born in Georgetown, Guyana and worked there as a teacher and journalist, before moving to the United Kingdom.

I remember well my 1995 visit to Georgetown, Guyana and was very impressed with its lushness and beauty. One special memory I have is driving over the floating bridge which crosses a part of the mighty Demerara River. I was scared, but enjoyed the experience. I also enjoyed shopping in Stabroek market. Below is a picture of Stabroek.

Stay tuned throughout this month as I feature more of Grace's works.


Stabroek Market, Georgetown Guyana
Photo from Google Images


No comments: