3/21/2018

Peggy Carr - Vincentian Poet

Peggy Carr is a journalist and poet from St. Vincent and the Grenadines. She is the author of three collections: Echoes from a Lonely Nightwatch (1989), Fresh Tracks in an Ancient Land (1996), and  Honey and Lime (2006).

Here is an interview she gave to the BBC, and which featured her poem, Flight of the Firstborn.

Virtual Bookworm Publishers, which published her collection, Honey and Lime, also has a nice write-up about her life and work in St. Vincent.

Enjoy below a sampling of her work, in the poem, Moving. This poem resonated with me because I have moved from the Caribbean to Canada, and then the US.

Moving

Once again I tear pieces
off myself
trying to unglue from
one more place
gather souvenir bits of
shrapnel from another spent cycle
mix a fresh palette of
aspirations
and head for
the monochrom horizon.

Peggy Carr. Copyright 2006.

First person to leave a comment gets a copy of Honey and Lime. Please send me your mailing address.

Please check out Peggy Carr's engaging poems!

2 comments:

Leonard Dabydeen said...

Season's Greetings,

What an inspiring, thought-engaging poem by Peggy Carr. "Moving" tells a vivid story of all of us who know and live in different places to ..."mix a fresh palette of/aspirations...". Reminds me of how you, Yasmin, moved in many places, your visits to Toronto, hoping to catch a word with me over a cup of coffee, your prep for the law exam, your eventual success and all the thrills and enjoyment with family and friends. For me, I am still here, moving with swirling brush strokes of poetry and book reviews and working on a new book publication. Love the read. 'Honey and Lime' will be a delight to read. A book review to do as well.

Leonard Dabydeen

Yasmin Morais said...

Leonard, thanks so much for your comment. I really love the poem Moving. Congratulations on winning Peggy Carr's Honey and Lime. The book is on its way to you. If you ever get around to it, I would love to read your review of the book. I would love to post your review on the blog if you like.
Regards, Yasmin