5/31/2020

New Air (For George Floyd)

This past week has been a difficult one for many of us. In addition to the pandemic, we have had to deal with new stories of racial profiling (Central Park birdwatcher), and violence against black men (the latest victim being George Floyd).

I felt numb and had to turn in to myself to quiet my spirit. I felt moved to write this poem, New Air, to honor George Floyd's memory.

New Air (For George Floyd)

I feel rage
my heart aches
for the ache
inflicted on you.
The shameless cruelty of it all.

George, I wish I could have soothed
your brow and wiped your tears
in your last eight minutes
of fear and torment, 
or held your hand as you gasped
and begged for air.
I wish I could have kicked away
that iron knee, weaponized by
a power-hungry, hate-filled soul.

You are at peace now, safe in
your mama's loving arms.
Your skin, no longer an offense.
You walk in power in a new land,
singing your freedom songs, 
your redemption songs.

George, you breathe new air, pure air now.
Your soul soars above the filth, decay, and dross;
above the evil philosophy that holds one race
superior, and another inferior.
You are chanting down the Babylon system
with Marley, Garvey, Malcolm, and King.
Sing your new songs, George. Sing.






No comments: