- He won a scholarship in 1931 to attend the Lycee Louis-le-Grand in Paris
- Cesaire married Suzanne Roussi, a Martinican
- In 1945, he was elected mayor of Fort-de-France, and deputy in the Constituent Assembly on the French Communist Party ticket
- He founded the Parti Progressiste Martiniquais in 1958 in Fort-de-France after resigning from the French Communist Party
- Cesaire retired from electoral politics in 1993
Source: Aime Cesaire. Cambridge Studies in African and Caribbean Literature. Cambridge University Press, 1997.