Featured Post

List of Caribbean Poets

3/19/2012

I Cultivate a White Rose (Cultivo Una Rose Blanca) by Jose Marti

Here is another beautiful poem, I Cultivate a White Rose, by Jose Marti.

I Cultivate a White Rose

I cultivate a white rose
In July as in January
For the sincere friend
Who gives me his hand frankly.

And for the cruel person who tears out
the heart with which I live,
I cultivate neither nettles nor thorns:
I cultivate a white rose.


Below is the Spanish Translation:

Cultivo Una Rosa Blanca

Cultivo una rosa blanca,
en julio como en enero,
para el amigo sincero
que me da su mano franca.
Y para el cruel que me arranca
el corazón con que vivo,
cardo ni oruga cultivo:
cultivo la rosa blanca.


Simply beautiful! Hope you have been enjoying Marti's poems.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no "Spanish" translation as you put it. There is an English translation and the "original" Spanish text.

Yasmin Morais said...

You are absolutely correct that the poem was originally written in Spanish. Thanks for pointing that out. Glad that there are English translations so that non-Spanish speakers can enjoy the poem.