Many persons are familiar with H.D. Carberry as the author of the poem, Nature. However, his career in the legal field may not be as well-known. As I wind down our focus on Carberry, here are some facts on the distinguished career of this poet-judge.
- Carberry already had law in his DNA and was the son of Sir John Carberry, a Chief Justice of Jamaica.
- He attended St. Catherine College, Oxford University, and read law at Middle Temple
- Called to the Bar in 1951, he engaged in private practice in Jamaica for a while.
- From 1969-1978, Carberry was Clerk to the Houses of Parliament, and was also a member of the Parliamentary Association.
- H.D. Carberry was appointed Judge of the Jamaican Court of Appeal in 1978, and served in this position for approximately 10 years.